On-The-Job Training & Work Experience
On the Job Training
The Workforce Connection can help set up On-The-Job Training for your new employees.
The program is simple---when you hire one of our qualified participants on a full-time basis, you agree to train that person for up to six months and our program will reimburse you for 50% of the wage being paid to the new hire.
We’ll help you find a good match by screening prospective job candidates. But, if you’re interested in the program, talk to us first, because the OJT agreement must be signed and on file before the new hire starts to work.
Your involvement in the OJT program can be a win-win for all involved. You’ll be able to hire a new employee and be reimbursed for a portion of the training cost.
The Work Experience program can be a great fit for potential employees with limited work histories. We have participants who need work experience and you have work that needs to be done.
- We pay the participant’s wages, FICA, and workers’ compensation.
- Participants work part-time (maximum 30 hours per week) for a period of up to 360 hours.
- We pre-screen participants prior to placing then in the program to make sure they can perform the job.
For more information, contact The Workforce Connection Business Team at 815-395-6619.
Incumbent Worker Training
What is Incumbent Worker Training?
The incumbent worker training program is designed to assist employers in upgrading the skills of their workforce in order to remain competitive in both regional and global markets.
Benefits of Incumbent Worker Training
- Benefits to the Employer The training is “employer driven” and responds to changes in market conditions as well as the introduction of new technology into the workplace. The employer is the primary customer and the primary beneficiary of the training.
- Benefits to the Employees The training provides new work-related skills and prepares the workers for job upgrades.
Types of Training
The training can be customized to meet your company needs. If there are existing training programs available, and they meet your needs regarding training objectives, location, time, etc., we will assist you in accessing those opportunities.
Funds for this training are federally allocated Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funds provided to The Workforce Connection by the US Department of Labor and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity. The federal funds will pay for between 50% and 75% of the total training costs, depending upon the workforce size of your company and the funds available.
How Do We Proceed?
If you are interested in providing Incumbent Worker Training for your employees, please
contact us at 815-395-6608.
After a discussion of the training needed, a meeting with training providers will be scheduled to develop a training plan which will include training objectives, location(s) of training, training schedule, costs, trainee identification and number of trainees, and expected outcomes for the employer and employees. Then the training plan is implemented. It is that easy!
- is designed to meet the special requirements of an employer or employers.
- is conducted with a commitment by the employer to employ an individual on successful completion of training.
- includes WIOA funding to cover up to 50% of the cost of training.
- Determine the skill sets needed by the company for its employees.
- Determine a training facility to provide skill development in the required areas.
- Establish a training contract to meet the needs of the employer and the training provider.
- Will include details of the training process—funded at 50% by The Workforce Connection and 50% by the employer.
- Requires the company to provide part-time employment for participants to run concurrently with the training---funded at 50% by The Workforce Connection (OJT) and 50% by the employer.
- Upon successful completion of the training program, participants shall become full-time employees of the company.
Workforce Connection Responsibilities
- Recruit and enroll eligible participants and ensure that participants complete the requirements of the individual WIOA programs.
- Forward candidates to the company for interviews.
- May assist with the assessment of potential employees (included, but not limited to, background checks and other testing) at the company’s additional expense.
- Shall select individuals to be included in the training program, based on interviews and the company’s existing policies.
For more information, contact the Business Team at The Workforce Connection 815-395-6608.